If you love solid wood furniture, then love and maintenance are very important. The choice of coating for solid wood furniture has a significant impact on both appearance and durability. And wood wax oil, as a kind of natural environmental protection furniture coating, is paid more and more attention in this field. In addition to wood wax oil, there are other types of coatings to choose from, each with different advantages and conditions of use. In this article, we will introduce the advantages of various coatings and wood wax oils, as well as their usage methods and precautions, to help you create durable and beautiful solid wood furniture, and make your home environment more warm and comfortable.
Common solid wood furniture coatings are as follows:
- Paint: Paint is a common furniture coating, usually made of a mixture of pigments, solvents, and emulsifiers. It can provide a variety of colors and finishes to make furniture more beautiful. The paint also has good water-repellent properties, which protect the wood surface and make it more durable. However, paint usually contains chemical substances, which have a certain impact on the human body and the environment, and may cause damage to health if exposed to for a long time.
- Water-based paint: Water-based paint is an environmentally friendly paint that is made of a mixture of water and polymer substances without harmful chemicals. It is safer and easier to clean than traditional paint. Water-based paints offer a wide range of color and finish options, as well as good water resistance, which protects the wood surface and makes it more durable. However, water-based paints are relatively weak in durability and need to be repainted periodically.
- Wax oil: Wax oil is a natural furniture coating, usually a mixture of substances such as beeswax , waxes and vegetable oils, which can protect the wood surface and make it more durable, while also adding luster and texture to the wood. Wax oil also has the effect of waterproofing, anti-corrosion and insect repelling, which can make the furniture more durable. However, wax oil is relatively weak in durability and needs to be reapplied periodically.
- Mixed paint: Mixed paint refers to the use of a variety of different paints mixed together to achieve better results. For example, common mixed paints include paint and beeswax, paint and resin, etc. Mixed coatings can take into account the advantages of different coatings, for example, mixing paint and beeswax can improve waterproof performance and durability, mixing paint and resin can improve hardness and wear resistance, but the use method and effect of mixed coatings need to be selected according to different formulas and use.
If you use solid wood furniture in a humid environment, it is best to choose a coating with good waterproof performance. Among them, both paint and water-based paint can provide better waterproof effect, and they can retain the natural texture and texture of wood, while providing a variety of colors and paint finishes, which are very suitable for use in some humid environments, such as kitchens and bathrooms wait. In addition, if you need stronger waterproof performance, you can consider using further processed coatings, such as special waterproof wax oil or resin coating, etc.
Wood wax oil is a natural furniture coating, which is a mixture of substances such as beeswax , vegetable oils and resins. It is often used to protect the surface of wood and improve the durability and beauty of wood. Here are the pros and cons of wood wax oil:
- Eco-Friendly: Wood Wax Oil is a natural product that contains no harmful chemicals and has no negative effects on the human body and the environment.
- Protective: Wood wax oil can protect the wood surface from the intrusion of moisture, stains and dust, etc., and it can also prevent insects, mildew and corrosion.
- Texture: Wood wax oil can increase the gloss and texture of wood, making the surface of wood smoother and softer.
- Easy to maintain: Wood wax is relatively simple to maintain , can be easily cleaned with detergent and a damp cloth, and does not require frequent reapplication.
- Weak durability: Compared with other coatings, wood wax oil is less durable and needs to be reapplied periodically.
- Easy to leave fingerprints and stains: As the surface of wood wax oil is relatively soft, it is easy to leave fingerprints and stains, and it needs to be cleaned regularly.
- Weak waterproof performance: Compared with other special coatings, wood wax oil has weak waterproof performance and cannot completely prevent the intrusion of moisture and stains.
- NOT FOR EXPOSED OUTDOORS: Since wood wax oil is not as durable as other coatings, it is not suitable for use on furniture or wood surfaces that will be exposed to the outdoors.
The use of wood wax oil can improve the texture and durability of solid wood furniture. The following are some usages and precautions for using wood wax oil:
- Clean the furniture surface: Before using wood wax oil, the furniture surface must be cleaned to remove dust, paint residue and stains, etc., to ensure that the wood wax oil can fully penetrate the wood surface.
- Shake Wood Wax Oil: Wood wax oil often settles, so it must be shaken before use to fully mix the ingredients in the oil.
- Applying wood wax oil: Use a brush or cloth to apply wood wax oil, thin and evenly spread on the wood surface, avoiding parts that are too thick or too thin.
- Wait for the wood wax to dry: After applying the wood wax, wait at least 6-8 hours for it to dry, or according to the time listed in the wood wax instructions.
- Wipe Excess Wood Wax: Before the wood wax is completely dry, use a clean cloth to wipe off excess wood wax to avoid fingerprints and stains.
- Reapply: If you need more protection, you can reapply once or twice after the wood wax oil is completely dry, until the desired effect is achieved.
- When using wood wax oil, avoid in a humid environment, which can prevent the wood wax oil from being completely dry and affecting the effect.
- When applying wood wax oil, pay attention to prevent excessive application, so as not to affect the texture and gloss of the wood surface.
- When using wood wax oil, pay attention to safety and avoid contact with sensitive parts such as eyes, mouth and skin. In case of accidental contact, rinse with water immediately.
- When storing wood wax oil, avoid direct sunlight and high temperature, so as not to affect the quality and effect of wood wax oil.
In short, the use of wood wax oil can protect the surface of solid wood furniture, improve its texture and durability, but it is necessary to pay attention to safety and follow the correct method of use during use.