In the humid subtropical climate, Hong Kong consumers have a special preference for Southeast Asian teak with high oil content and the ability to regulate temperature and humidity. But you know what? In fact, teak is also available in the United States, but it is less common in the market. This is because American teak has a low moisture content and is not suitable for Hong Kong’s climate. There are many points to note when purchasing teak, but most consumers are not familiar with them. We will share some methods on how to identify the quality of teak when purchasing furniture .
1. Distinguish between "log" and "solid wood"
You may often confuse these two terms. Experts point out that "raw wood" means that only wood of the same type and age is selected to ensure stable quality. "Solid wood" is not limited to the same kind of wood, and its relative stability is low. To use an analogy, logs are like single malt whiskey, which comes from the same distillery; while solid wood is like blended whiskey, which combines the flavors of different distilleries. In addition, a simple identification method is that if teak furniture is not veneered or painted, it means that it has sufficient oil content and is a high-quality wood.
2. Understand "ink line" and "white label"
Do you still remember that the school teacher taught us how to look at tree rings? The wood used for large furniture often needs to have a considerable amount of years of growth. Wood closer to the heart of the tree indicates age and stability, while sapwood closer to the bark is younger and softer. In terms of teak quality, the sapwood is usually low, so its texture is intermittent thin lines, which looks whiter, so it is called "white label". The wood grain close to the heart of the tree shows complete thick lines, which are called "ink lines". In short, when you choose teak furniture , if the texture on the surface of the board is continuous and complete like annual rings, and the ink lines are clearly visible, it means that the teak is of good quality and uses relatively stable core wood.
3. Characteristics of log furniture <br data-mce-fragment="1">Log furniture has different equilibrium moisture content, for example, Hong Kong is about 14 to 16 degrees, the United States is about 8 to 10 degrees, and Indonesia is about 10 to 12 Degrees and so on. A change in equilibrium moisture content of up to two degrees will have no effect on solid wood furniture. However, if American oak furniture without adjustment of equilibrium moisture content is placed directly in Hong Kong for use, the drawers may become unable to be opened due to expansion. Similarly, if Indonesian teak furniture without adjusting the balanced moisture content is used directly in the United States, cracks may occur due to the release of moisture inside the wood. These phenomena demonstrate the ability of log furniture to regulate indoor temperature and humidity.
Therefore, when using log furniture , you should avoid air-conditioning blowing directly on the furniture , just like people should not stand in front of the air-conditioning for a long time and be blown by the cold wind. Especially for raw wood furniture that has not been painted or veneered, direct cold air blowing can easily destroy the balanced moisture content of the wood and cause cracks. In an environment where the relative humidity exceeds 85 degrees and there is a lack of ventilation and dehumidification, log furniture is prone to mold. At this time, you can use a slightly damp rag dipped in detergent to wipe the moldy part, then blow dry with a hair dryer, and finally apply teak oil to prevent mold.
4. Advantages of teak furniture
1. Adjust temperature and humidity: Unpainted or unveneered log furniture can adjust temperature and humidity, so living in a cabin or having log furniture makes the environment more comfortable and healthy.
2. Energy saving: The pores of log furniture can adjust temperature and humidity. If a large amount of log furniture is used indoors, there is no need to turn on strong air conditioning in summer, and the energy saving effect is significant.
3. Sound-absorbing effect: The pores of logs have a sound-absorbing effect, making the space of log furniture less prone to noise and echo.
4. Anti-static: Logs do not absorb dust and are less likely to generate static electricity than materials such as glass, plastic and metal, which is more beneficial to human health.
5. Natural and non-toxic: Unpainted or unveneered solid wood furniture does not contain formaldehyde and lead-containing substances, making it very suitable for people with allergies.
6. Warmth and friendliness: Log material is warm in winter and cool in summer, and is friendly to the human body. Compared with marble and metal products, it can create a rural leisure atmosphere.
7. Hard, durable and inheritable: Teak is a hardwood. High-quality teak furniture has a high oil content and is suitable for use in subtropical areas. Teak is usually used on high-end yachts, which shows that it is more stable than other woods.
5. Maintenance points of teak furniture <br data-mce-fragment="1">When maintaining teak furniture, you need to pay attention to the following matters:
1. Use thermal pads: When placing overheated or cold items on teak furniture , please use thermal pads to avoid leaving marks.
2. Wipe clean with a dry cloth: If there are oil stains, use a damp cloth dipped in water or neutral detergent, wring it out, and then wipe clean with a dry cloth.
3. Avoid direct sunlight and air-conditioning: Prolonged direct sunlight or air-conditioning will cause the teak wood to expand and contract due to temperature changes.
4. Avoid scratches: Do not drag or rub objects on the surface of teak furniture to avoid scratches.
5. Prevent staining: Teak wood contains high oil content. Whether it is painted or not, it may secrete oil. This is normal. If it is to be in contact with light-colored items for a long time, please use cardboard, plastic board or dust cover to avoid staining.